Rylie

Rylie
Rylie

Heidi (in front) - The Staff to Rylie

Heidi (in front) - The Staff to Rylie
Heidi (in front) - The Staff to Rylie

Sunday, April 29, 2012

What the Heck Happened to Blogger???

I guess that's what I get for not posting for over a month. They have gone and changed Blogger, and I don't like the new format. I'm having a little trouble finding my way around the new dashboard.

Why haven't I posted for over a month, you ask? Well, for starters, I logged 26 miles on my MapMyHike app last week. That was up from 20 the week before. That's a combination of hiking, jogging, climbing up and down stairs, and walking Rylie. I'm training for my trek to Machu Picchu. 

The seed for my next adventure has been planted! I made my Peru trip reservation, and the trek will begin on September 1st. My friends and I will arrive in Cuzco two days before that to acclimate to the altitude. The trek will last 7 days, cover 32 miles, and cross Dead Woman's Pass in the Andes, which has an altitude of 15,000 feet! This will truly be a challenge, and I am really excited about it. This is the trip I wanted to do for my 50th birthday, but I couldn't make it happen last year. I guess I'll be celebrating 51 instead.

I won't be going to the Galapagos Islands this trip, because there just isn't enough time to do both in one trip.  However, I might be extending my Peru trip a few days so that I can add on a side trip to the Amazon.

Today I did a great hike in Mt. Diablo State Park. There weren't a whole lot of wildflowers, maybe because we had such a dry winter. I did manage to find a little bit of color, and some people out on horseback:




Last weekend I did a hike in Tilden Park:



In the photo below, you can see that famous San Francisco fog, with the skyscrapers of the city barely rising above that bay fog:
 
 I had a great view of Mt. Diablo from the Tilden Park hike:




My walk-in closet has apparently become Rylie's dog house. Maybe he likes being in there because it's dark and cooler. I had to start leaving the door open, because a couple of times I didn't realize he was in there and shut the door. He didn't make a peep, but luckily, I figured out he was in there before too long.


Rylie's Notes:

The Staff has been cluttering up my den with her clothes and shoes. It's a good thing I'm such a patient and tolerant dog, otherwise I would chew those clothes and shoes to bits to teach her a lesson.

4 comments:

Pawson Travels said...

Head over to Colorado. If you want to experience some high altitude to acclimate. Plus you can buy a pill to take along to help ward off altitude sickness. And it works. They recommend taking it the whole time you are in high elevations.

Heidi said...

I wish I could head over to Colorado, I love it there. I backpacked in the Rockies many years ago, and it was a climb. Unfortunately, I won't be able to take a vacation before my vacation. I have plans to hike Mt. Diablo, Mt. St. Helena, and then head to the Sierras, where I'll be able to get some more elevation.

Anonymous said...

That's funny about Rylie moving into your walk-in closet. When we moved into this house eight years ago our dog went right into our walk-in closet and claimed it as his own!

Stephany

Cammie said...

I love the picture from Tilden looking down at the water. Beautiful :)